Friday, February 20, 2015

Graham Austin-King's Random Mutterings: Myth and Lore in Fantasy - The Story Hiding Betwee...

My PhotoGraham Austin-King's Random Mutterings: Myth and Lore in Fantasy - The Story Hiding Betwee...: They   (whoever they are anyway) say that a good author writes about the things they love in novels and damn the consequences. To a lesser or greater degree that's what I did. I love the myths that are buried between the paragraphs in a fantasy novel. Don't explain them or give too many details, that ruins the effect. Leave me wondering. Let me leave the thoughts to ferment at the back of my mind while you tell your story.

Call it the mythology of the story, call it lore, it's all the same thing really. In fantasy, at least for me anyway, it's probably one of the most important part of the story. Personally I like the term "lore" and since this is my post, that's what we're calling it. It would be easy to confuse this with world-building and, to a certain extent it is a part of effective world-building, creating a backdrop against which the novel plays out.... READ MORE



No comments:

Post a Comment